- Big Sandy is identical and unchanged as a crash cushion when meeting NCHRP 350, TL-3 and MASH Eligible, TL-3.
- Big Sandy twelve barrel array is identical and unchanged when meeting NCHRP 350, TL-3 and MASH Eligible, TL-3.
- Plastic barrels are engineered to break upon impact, resulting in proper attenuation of the impacting vehicle.
- Three (3) barrels are used to create all weights required in current standard array plans (200, 400, 700, 1400 and 2100 lbs. / 90, 180, 320, 640 and 960 kg).
- Combination barrel utilizes a pedestal base and 200, 400, 700 lbs. (90, 180, 320 kg) top half barrel to obtain weights without using shelves or cone inserts – eliminates leaking sand.
- Simply fill the sand to the molded-in fill line to obtain the correct weight. The molded-in fill line makes external verification of weights easy.
- Reinforced lip prevents barrels from deforming when filled and provides a quick and secure lid fit.
- Big Sandy’s stout construction allows for easy moving, lifting and emptying with optional TrafFix Lifting Ring.
These specifications describe a plastic barrel which is filled with sand and used in arrays for providing vehicle crash cushions. The Big Sandy is both NCHRP-350 Approved,TL-3 and MASH Eligible, TL-3. The barrels are covered by a plastic lid and have a lifting flange for purposes of attaching a lifting ring to move the barrels. Three separate barrels are available. The largest holds 2,100 lbs (960 kg.); the second largest holds 1,400 lbs. (640 kg.) and the third can be filled to 700 lbs. (320 kg.), 400 lbs. (180 kg.) and 200 lbs. (90 kg.). The third size barrel is assembled in the field by locking two different sizes of half-barrels together and filling to one of three different fill heights as marked on the barrel. The barrels are made of polypropylene and high-density polyethylene UV stabilized molded plastic with a yellow colorant. This plastic combination is engineered to break upon impact, resulting in proper attenuation of the impacting vehicle. All barrels are Q.C. tested for part weight, color, thickness, drain holes, and lid fit. Each plastic barrel comes with a five year, pro-rated repair or replacement warranty against U.V. weathering degradation.